Monday, March 9, 2009

Sound!

I mentioned a while ago that I would say a bit about sound. I have a Bachmann On30 Shay, with sound. Suggested retail price for these engines is around $400 (it's printed on the box), but you can buy them from places like The Favorite Spot, in Denton TX, for around half that. My engine came equipped with DCC control and a Soundtraxx Tsunami sound system already installed. I think the speaker in the tender is a 1 inch speaker, but it does sound pretty good.

The clip below demonstrates how it sounds. You can hear the compressor hammering away, the "chuff" is synchronized to the speed of the loco (I started it off a bit too fast, and had to slow back down), when it slows you can hear the brakes squealing, and so on. Of course, the loco literally has bells and whistles!

I'm planning on adding sound to other locos, and I will probably buy a Climax loco with sound also. Come to think of it, I may need to sell a Shay and Climax, without sound, to pay for some sound components!

Enjoy....


Shay starting up

1 comment:

WTexJoe said...

Sweet! I like th way the steam-powered generator spins up when I turn on the lights.

Sound does add sooo much!