Thursday, April 16, 2009

Catching up

I've been off doing stuff, and haven't had time to make an entry for a week or so.

I went to the San Angelo Tea Party last night, and thought it was pretty interesting. Unfortunately I didn't have the camera, since we were only planning on stopping by on the way to another place we needed to be. It appeared to me that there were possibly 1000 people gathered around the courthouse steps, many with signs and posters proclaiming their dissatisfaction with current government policies and spending. Lots of patriotic songs, lots of flags, a public opening prayer...right there on the courthouse steps! I was happy to note that the organizers were careful to state that this was a bi-partisan rally, and that anyone who wanted to see "change" (like we need more of that) was welcome.

The local Democrat club set up what was billed as a counter protest, but they only mustered about 25 people, who made sure to stay quite a distance away.

I really wish Trish and I could have stayed longer, but she had cub scouts, and I needed to be with our church youth.

Speaking of, the other news is that I am our Ward Bishop. I was called and set apart about a month ago. For those reading who might not know, a Mormon Bishop is roughly equivalent to a Catholic parish priest or a protestant pastor. I have responsibility for something like 4050 square miles, and all the church members, and those who are not, within those boundries. as you might imagine, I seem to be quite busy all of a suddden, and the next five-odd years will be interesting.

I'm still working on the bathroom, though somewhat slowly. We got the ceiling up, and now am about to start ripping out the floor. There will be pictures coming as I progress....

No comments: