Monday, January 19, 2009

The Micro Layout

This morning I started on an On30 micro layout, after many months of threatening...



Here is the base...22 inches by 32 inches, made with 1X4 stock. The top is 1/4 plywood.



Here is the underside of the base. I drilled holes for running wires.



I put a layer of 1 inch foam over the plywood. I can carve little dips and hollows into it later.

I've got the main loop of track laid. The curves are 10 inch radius, so only small equipment will run.

I've noticed that the base under the track going to the turntable will need to be built up a bit. I'm thinking I'll use something like matte board. In case you're wondering, I made the turntable from a CD and case.



The main loop has been wired, and a train is running! Once I finish with all the track work and am satisfied that it all works reliably, then I'll start building up the scenery. Eventually, the engine will push a string of cars out of a mine tunnel and into an ore processing building. There should be a small pond with scummy water, a mountain (or at least enough of one for the mine) and little hills and dips.

There will also be plenty of trees and greenery. One of the reasons I'm building this layout is to experiment with some interesting looking techniques I've read about.

But, I think I've done enough for one day....

No comments: