Thursday, February 5, 2009

Cost

I guess my final thoughts on the micro layout project ought to be on what it cost me to build.

The substructure and pink foam was already on hand, so didn't cost me anything. Matter of fact, the only reason I used something as massive as 1X4 stock was that it was hanging around in my shop. I also had the foam adhesive on hand.

The track was already on hand, and the CD-based turntable was already built. No cost there.

I spent $6 for three 75 foot spools of wire at Radio Shack. Most of it will be used for other products, since I only used about 12 feet of wire. At about 3 cents per foot, I used $0.36 worth of wire.

I spent $2 on a toggle switch, and $1.50 for a power connector.

I already had a 70 pound bag of general purpose sand, which only cost about $3 anyway. No appreciable cost there.

I bought a quart of paint, tinted to match the sand, for $8, but have enough left over, for other projects, that I can say I used less than $1 worth of paint.

Buildings, trains, figures, greenery, etc, were all on hand. I'm not counting the cacti that I haven't bought yet. They will be $7 for a box of 60, and I doubt I'll use all 60.

Let's see.....looks like I spent a total of......mmmm....about $4 (actual cost of materials used) from start to finish. Not too bad!

Next entry will be about something different.....

1 comment:

WTexJoe said...

Talk about building frugally! I've never thought about what it's cost ... and I probably shouldn't!

I sprayed my cactus with Model Masters "Medium Green" as I remember, and the color looks good to me.

Joe