Monday, February 23, 2009

A Little Bit of Religion

I got to thinking that maybe I should "raise the bar" a bit, so here's some religious thinking for you.

As I understand it, there is a gospel principle in every verse of scripture. To test the theory, let's try what is probably the shortest verse in the scriptures:

John 11:35 Jesus wept.

Before looking at the verse in context, let's just consider this single verse. In these two words, I see the concept that Jesus Christ, the Son of the Living God, a God in His own right, feels sorrow and compassion, though from this one verse, I don't yet know why.

If we look at it in context, we see that the incident was where Lazarus had died, and both Mary and Martha had told Him about it. Jesus saw the women crying, and the others, I would assume family and friends, all grieving, and was troubled and saddened. The Savior was moved to tears by the grieving of others, even though He was there to raise Lazarus from the dead.

So, in context, the verse still teaches us that the Savior has compassion for us and feels our suffering.

Pretty neat for two short words, huh?

No comments: