Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Train Depot Appreciation Dinner

Last night Trish and I went to the annual Santa Fe Depot Volunteer Appreciation Dinner. We were at a local Mexican restaurant, and enjoyed a very nice dinner with the other members of the board and volunteers. As I was looking around, I realized that at 48, I was probably one of the younger participants, with many easily in their mid to late 70s.

Part of this is due, I'm sure, to the fact that the Santa Fe railroad suspended operations in this area over 20 years ago, and many of the volunteers are former railroad employees. But I also notice a lack of interest in volunteering by the younger crowd, in general. Everyone is so busy with their lives that they don't have any time to give.

I hope, especially this time of year, that folks will look up, even for a moment, and think about the things they may be able to contribute to organizations around them.

No comments: